How to get a new bank account
Bank accounts: before you know what to get, you'll need to know exactly what you're looking for.
Getting a bank account that is suitable for you, and meets all your needs, will depend largely on how you manage your finances from month to month, and the kinds of services you really rely on.
If you're looking for an account that helps you manage your money, why not check out the thinkmoney Managed Current Account? It's an alternative to a bank account that comes with a personalised budgeting service - ensuring you always put enough money aside for your bills and other essentials.
Let's take a step-by-step look at how to get a bank account that gives you the things you really need to manage your money
Step 1: Think about the things you need
When it comes to managing our money, we're all different. But getting a bank account that fits your financial situation could really help you to get the most out of your money. Here are some things to think about:
- Do you rely on an overdraft every month? If this is the case, looking into bank accounts that come with the best overdraft options could be ideal - e.g. could you get an overdraft that's temporarily interest-free? On the other hand, if you want to stop using an overdraft, you could find a bank account that doesn't offer the facility.
- If you rarely find time to visit your local bank branch, getting a bank account that comes with phone, online and SMS text banking could help you manage your money on the go.
- Is a standard bank account the best option for you? There are other options, not all available on the high street, which could offer the things you're looking for, such as the thinkmoney Managed Current Account.
- Do you find that you usually have a substantial amount of money in your bank account from month to month? If yes, comparing the different interest rates on savings accounts could really pay off - and help you get a better return on your money in the long run.
- If you'd like a bank account that comes with added extras, a paid-for packaged account could offer things such as travel insurance and commission-free foreign currency.
Step 2: Research the different types of accounts
There are many different types of bank account on the market - so it's important to take some time to do some research before you make a decision.
Talking to friends and family, following up word-of-mouth recommendations and customer reviews, and using comparison websites could all help you look at what options are available. And don't forget to speak directly to providers too: they'll be able to tell you more about the benefits of their accounts.
Are you looking for a savings account to give you good returns on your money; a packaged account that comes with extra features; or a current account that comes with an overdraft?
Don't forget that there are some bank accounts that you won't find on the high street - but could give you the ideal way to manage your money.
The thinkmoney Managed Current Account, for example, is an alternative to a bank account that could really help you to budget and keep track of your finances. Along with SMS and online account management - so you can check your balance and change your Direct Debits whenever suits you - the account comes with an exclusive Money Manager service.
This means that every month, your income will be split into two separate accounts - one for your bills and another for your 'spending money' - so you can't accidentally spend the money you need for your everyday essentials. You can also rest assured that all the bills you tell us about will be paid in full, on time.
All this for a straightforward monthly fee of just £17.50 per month (£24.50 per month for a joint account).
To apply for the thinkmoney Managed Current Account today, simply click the 'Apply Now' button below.