Current Account

I've got a joint account but have split with my partner, do I need to tell you?

Yes, please let us know as soon as possible by giving us a call on 0161 779 5000 and we’ll discuss the next steps with you.

If you’re changing your name, we’ll need to see your original Decree Absolute (this is the legal document that shows your marriage has ended) and your original birth certificate.

What happens to a joint bank account after divorce?

If you decide to divorce - and you have a joint thinkmoney Current Account in both your names – you'll have to reach an agreement on what to do with it.

You could keep the account

If you have on-going joint commitments (like children or a mortgage) this may be a practical solution.

You and your partner will both be able to withdraw money from the account, without the other person's consent, until you tell us that things are changing.

If you can't agree on how to split the funds in your account, you might have to go to court to obtain an order which will detail how your finances should be split.

If you would like more information, please call 0161 672 8910.

You could close the joint account

To do this, you will need to contact us and ask to close the account (we may freeze it first).

And make sure any Direct Debits or standing orders you both have in place are cancelled or rearranged.

Remember, both you and your partner are responsible for any debts and financial agreements you have together. So it's important that you and your partner agree on how you'll deal with any debts you still have together.

If you don't, you could risk damaging your credit rating and facing other financial problems.

Legal Information