How to be a frugal woman - part 2
Published 25 November 2011 by Lucy Bower
Living frugally can help you to pay off debts and save for the future. We offer some frugal health and beauty tips to show you that you don't have to splash the cash to feel beautiful!
This is the second part of our frugal woman secrets. Have a read of part 1 for our frugal fashion tips! Living frugally can help you to pay off debts and save for the future. We offer some frugal health and beauty tips to show you that you don't have to splash the cash to feel beautiful!
- Keep your make-up in the fridge - it lasts longer.
- When applying foundation, mix it with moisturiser to make it go further and make sure you use every last drop in your bottle.
- Vaseline is an affordable lip balm and can be mixed with make-up on your eyes and lips to help your make-up last longer.
- Bathe your hair in coconut oil or olive oil, wrap in a towel and leave overnight for a cheap treatment for your tangled and stressed locks.
- You'll find more affordable haircuts at hair colleges, or with junior stylists.
- Mobile hairdressers are often cheaper and tend to get business from word of mouth, so ask your friends if they can recommend anyone.
- Pound shops and discount stores often sell branded beauty products much more cheaply.
- It doesn't take too much effort to do your own manicure or pedicure and it will save you money. Maintaining false nails can cost around £35 every 4-6 weeks. Could you put that money towards something better?
- Don't be taken in by advertising. Often we'll buy the latest cream because we believe it'll make us look younger / more attractive. The biggest component of any beauty cream is aqua-based. That's right, it's water.
Take care of yourself
Beauty isn't skin deep - if you're tired, stressed or not eating well, it can affect you emotionally as well as physically. If you're feeling frazzled, you probably won't feel very beautiful, no matter how much make-up you're wearing.
- If you've been working hard lately, or if you never get a moment to yourself because of your children / dog / partner, then book an evening by yourself to recharge your batteries, or get your friends round for a good chat and a giggle. If you have children, ask a friend or relative if they could take them off your hands for a few hours.
- If stress is an issue for you, there are inexpensive ways to deal with it. You could borrow a meditation or yoga DVD from the library to learn breathing techniques which can help with relaxation.
- Complementary therapies are sometimes available for free on the NHS if you're having certain health problems, so it's worth asking your GP.
More frugal health tips
- Exercising will keep you looking and feeling beautiful because it releases endorphins in the brain - our body's natural 'happy' chemicals. Some cheap / free ways to exercise include: swimming at public baths, walking the dog, jogging outdoors, riding a bike and gardening.
- It's often recommended that we get a 'five a day' helping of fruit and vegetables. If you buy vegetables that are in season they normally work out cheaper. Some vegetables that are in season at the moment are potatoes, cauliflowers, carrots, red and white cabbages, Brussels sprouts and leeks. Also, vegetables at markets or grocers can work out better value for money than the pre-packaged vegetables at the supermarket.
- Drink lots of water. Tap water in this country is usually perfectly fine and you can refill a bottle with tap water instead of purchasing mineral water every day. If you bought bottled water every day, at £1 a bottle, it'd set you back over £300 every year.
You don't have to cut back on all your favourite luxuries when you're being frugal - personally I prefer to buy foundation with SPF protection, which costs a little more. When trying to be frugal yourself, think about which beauty products you are happy to live without or at least cut back on - which is entirely personal.
However, eating fruit and vegetables, drinking water and taking regular exercise should hopefully make you feel beautiful on the inside and outside - and it's cheaper than cosmetic surgery!