Step into spring: fashion for women on a budget
Published 18 March 2015 by Kyri Levendi
Step into spring for less this season, by following our budget-friendly guide to affordable fashion.
Although it may not seem like it, spring is definitely on its way and with it comes a whole new season and set of style trends. This spring, the fashion crowd have taken inspiration from the past with kimonos, culottes and shirt-style dresses all coming back into fashion. To help you step into spring for less this season, follow our style guide for women on a budget.
There was no way that we could talk about spring style trends without including floral prints. Spring and florals go hand in hand, and every year floral prints are a big part of many spring/summer collections. To get your hands on floral designs that won’t break the bank, have a look at our high street picks:
• This handkerchief dress from Primark takes real inspiration from the seventies with its bohemian style and loose-fitting design. The pastel tones of this dress are perfect for spring and at only £13, the dress is a real bargain!
• If you would rather your floral prints packed a bit more of a punch, then look no further than this floral print skirt from Primark! The bold print is sure to make you stand out from the crowd and with a price of just £8, it’s pretty hard to pass up!
• Adjusting from winter to spring can be hard, especially when the weather is so unpredictable. So ease yourself into the warmer months with this sleeveless floral tunic dress from New Look. This tunic would look great paired with tights, boots and a cardigan while the weather is still chilly, and can be worn by itself as soon as the weather starts to pick up.
The Japanese inspired kimono trend was a big hit last summer and doesn’t seem to be slowing down for this spring either. So to get your hands on a kimono, check out a few of the following:
• To ease yourself into the kimono trend, why not try this black and red kimono from Primark? It would look great paired with loose-fitting jeans and a black basic top, and is a great find at only £12!
• Alternatively, if you’re looking for something a little bit more delicate, then this floral one from Boohoo could be right up your street. This oriental style is a great price at only £15 and would make a versatile cover up for both the day and the night.
• This sheer kimono from Matalan is the perfect item to instantly update an evening look. The loose nature means that it would look great with more form-fitting pieces like skinny jeans or a pencil skirt. And at only £14, you can’t go too far wrong with this one!
The shirt dress is a simple yet chic garment that can be worn both as a dress and as a cover up. To get an idea of the shirt dresses available on the high street, take a look at the following:
• A great way to wear the shirt dress is as a cover up and throwing on this pattern shirt dress from H&M will be a great way to instantly edge up an outfit. For a cool yet comfortable look, wear this dress over a pair of skinny jeans and a basic top.
• For more of a brighter, vibrant look, why not opt for this white and blue striped shirt dress from H&M? This dress would be perfect to wear for a lazy day out at the park and could even make a great beach cover up for the summer months. Not bad for just £14.99!
• This chiffon number from George at Asda proves that the shirt dress doesn’t just have to be something that you wear in the daytime – it can make a great evening look too! On sale for just £8, this dress is quite the find!
One of the more daring trends to come out of the looks seen on the runway this year is the culotte. A culotte essentially looks like a skirt but is in fact a long loose trouser that cuts just below the knee. Intrigued? Then take a look at the pairs we’ve been able to find:
• This pair of khaki culottes from New Look are great to experiment with if you’re a newbie to this trend. The high waisted design makes them flattering to the figure and their loose nature will make them incredibly comfortable to wear. For such a hotly sought after item, these are a great price at just £14.99.
• If you’re feeling brave, then you could go for this floral printed pair from Primark. They will make for a great statement piece in the spring months and would look great worn with a basic top and a pair of chunky sandals. Not bad for just £14!
• For more of an elegant feel, why not try this black pair from F&F at Tesco? They’re very versatile and would make a great alternative to a dress or a skirt in the evening!
As many of these spring style trends have been in the fashion rotation before, you could always head down to your local charity shop and see whether you can find any of these styles for cheaper than on the high street? For tips on how to get the most out of shopping at a charity shop, click here.