The best jeans for your body type
Published 18 May 2016
Jeans are a staple for any wardrobe, so it’s important that you have the best fit for your body shape.
If there’s one piece of clothing you probably have in your wardrobe it’s a good pair of jeans. But as there’s so many different styles, cuts and washes of jeans it can be tricky to know which one would best suit your figure.
To help we’re going to take you through some of the most common body types in the UK and the jeans that would best suit them.*
You have a rectangle body shape when your hips, waist and shoulders are all the same width. As your legs tend to be your best feature, you should look to accentuate them with the right pair of jeans.
• Do try a high-waist: a high-waisted jean will flatter your ‘straight up and down’ figure and help to create the illusion of longer legs.
• Do go for a bootcut: the regular waist and flare design will help to give the illusion of curves – so take inspiration from the seventies and opt for a flare!
• Don’t go baggy: loose styles like boyfriend jeans will only swamp your figure instead of flatter it, so try to stay away if you can.
• Want jeans that are both flattering and comfortable? Try this high-waisted pair from H&M. At just £14.99, they’re a bargain.
• For something a bit different, try this khaki pair from Primark. They’re only £13 and would be ideal for spring.
• Take inspiration from the seventies with this black pair of bootcut jeans from H&M. At just £19.99, this pair would be perfect for wearing day-to-day.
A pear shape is bottom-heavy, with the widest part of the body being the hips. Pear-shaped ladies need their denim to flatter this area rather than draw attention to it.
• Do try a mid-rise: this type of jean will hug your hips and help to elongate your legs.
• Do go for a bootcut: the flare design of a bootcut will help to balance out your figure, so don’t be afraid to give them a go.
• Don’t go for a light-wash: dark denim helps to flatter the figure so try to stay away from jeans with a lighter wash.
• Don’t be afraid to try a skinny: the right skinny jeans can be flattering for your figure. Find ones with a dark wash and a mid-rise waist and you’ll be onto a winner!
• For something sleek and stylish to wear every day, try this mid-rise pair of skinny jeans from Matalan. The turned up hem provides a nice detail and they’re only £15!
• Try these bootcut jeans from H&M. They’re incredibly versatile and would look just as stylish worn with trainers as a pair of heels. They come in at an affordable £19.99.
An hourglass figure features curves and a small waist. If you have this body type, you’ll want your jeans to accentuate your curves and draw attention to your waist.
• Do embrace a high-waist: a jean with a high waist will hug your curves and draw attention to the smallest part of you – your waist.
• Do go for block colour: stay away from jeans that have a lighter wash on the thigh as this will draw attention to this area and make it look bigger. Stick to dark navy instead.
• Don’t go for jeans with detailing around the hips: this will only draw attention to this area and make it look bigger.
• Don’t buy a low-rise: they won’t be as flattering to your figure and can make your hips look wider and your legs shorter.
• Don’t be afraid of a flare: the bootcut style seems to flatter most figures and it does the same for an hourglass body shape.
• If you’re petite, then this high-waisted pair could be ideal for your curvaceous frame. With gold buckles and an ankle-skimming design, it’s hard to believe this pair is only £22.99.
• For a different take on the flared jean, try this cropped pair from H&M. At just £19.99, these jeans could easily be dressed up with a pair of heels.
You have an apple body shape if your figure is top heavy with slimmer legs and arms. The ideal jeans for this body type reduce your midsection and draw attention to your legs.
• Do go for a pair with stretch: jeans with a bit of stretch can have a good slimming effect especially when it comes to your middle area.
• Do go for a skinny: skinny jeans will emphasise your slim legs.
• Don’t go for a high-waist: high-waisted jeans will only accentuate your mid-section, so opt for a low or mid-rise instead.
• Step back into the seventies with this pair of dark wash flare jeans from Matalan. These are great value at £15 and come in a 31 and 33 leg length.
• Have a bit of fun with the jeans that you pick with this distressed pair from H&M. The cut out detailing helps to add an edge to your look and the super stretch material is sure to be comfortable. This pair is only £19.99.
So there you have it, a complete guide to finding the best jeans for your body type. Remember, try on a few jeans before you buy them and have a budget in mind beforehand.
Want to know more about dressing for your body shape on a budget? Check out our blog.
*Prices correct at time of writing - 16/05/16