Skip to main content

It’s easy to assume that if you’ve got a motor insurance policy, you’ll be able to claim on this if anything goes wrong with your car. But not all car insurance policies are the same and some will only protect other drivers if you have a crash.

So how do you know what your car insurance covers you for? We’re taking a look at what can vary between policies and what you need to look out for in the terms and conditions to make sure you’re protected – otherwise you could be left out of pocket in the event of an accident.

Choosing the cover

Not all insurance policies are equal, and there can be lots of differences between what you’re covered for from one insurer to another. In the main though, motor insurance policies can be divided up into three types – third-party, third-party, fire and theft and comprehensive insurance. Third-party and third-party, fire and theft insurance policies only cover the other driver in accidents that are your fault, with the latter also protecting you if your car is stolen or destroyed in a fire.

You’ll have to pay for repairs to your own car though so if you want to be covered for this, a fully comprehensive insurance policy might be best for you. This will pay out for any damage to your car caused by an accident, whether you were at fault or not. If you want to see the differences between the levels of car insurance cover and work out which is more suitable for you, check out our blog on third-party and fully comp car insurance.

What’s not protected?

However, don’t assume that if you go for a fully comprehensive motor insurance policy that you’ll definitely be able to claim no matter what goes wrong with your car. Policies can vary drastically so it’s important to check the terms and conditions to see what you’d be covered for. For example, if your car is stolen, will you also be able to claim for any personal belongings in your car or any stereos, speakers or sat-navs you’d installed? Some insurers will cover you for this but some won’t so it’s always a good idea to check what’s included on your policy.

You should also look to see if you’ll be able to get a courtesy car to drive if any repairs need to be made to your vehicle, if you’ll be insured to drive abroad and if you’ll need to use a specific garage to repair your car if you have an accident. You can check if breakdown cover is included in your policy too, though this is rare – it’s more likely that you’ll have to pay extra to add this on. Some comprehensive insurance policies will even give you third-party cover to drive someone else’s car – as long as you’ve got their permission, of course.

Legal Information