Skip to main content

It’s that time of year again, where parents wave their teenagers goodbye, and universities open their doors to welcome thousands of new and returning students. In fact there are record numbers of students going into higher education this September, estimated at more than half a million. 

There are unsurprisingly many things to organise before they set off, and not too long left to get everything they'll need. To help tick one thing off your checklist, we're going to take you through the gadgets your son or daughter will need at university and why gadget insurance could be a good idea.

Student gadgets

Despite universities having computer suites, fantastic libraries, design studios, labs and areas for students to work, some even accessible 24 hours a day, they’ll benefit from having their own key equipment including the following.

Mobile phones

Most students will own a smartphone these days, and they are great for emails, chatting and even FaceTime-ing back home. If they lose or break their phone you can be facing a big bill, so decent insurance is vital.

It can be tricky to find the right mobile contract that you and your teenager agree on. But with the release of new iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, you could get older versions of the smartphone for cheaper.

Laptops and tablets

Laptops and tablets give students great flexibility to work wherever and whenever they want. They are lightweight and easy to carry and capable of doing many types of work, including document writing, design work, page layouts, emailing and more.

Design oriented students tend to prefer Apple products, as they run graphics more effectively, but this is personal choice. Though they tend to be more expensive than other brands, Apple offer education pricing on some of their product range.

Programmes and software

Many universities work with software companies to give software downloads for free, or at a massively reduced cost. Before you rush out and buy expensive packages – like Microsoft Office – be sure to check what they can get free.

Disabled students

Disabled students or those with long-term illness, mental health conditions or specific learning difficulty should also apply for DSA (Disabled Students' Allowances), to help with learning aids and equipment.

Get gadget and contents insurance

Check your own building and contents cover, to see if it also covers your teen’s possessions when they are away at uni. If it doesn’t why not get a quote for contents insurance for them from thinkmoney?

Even if you do have cover for their possessions, if the excess is high on the policy it may still be worth getting stand-alone insurance for their gadgets. 

TV Licence

Lastly, don’t forget that if your teen is planning to watch TV on their laptops or tablets, or if they have a TV, they should buy a TV licence.

Remember, you'll now need a TV licence to watch BBC iPlayer from September.

Not sure where to start? Check out our university checklist for students and parents

Legal Information