I'm struggling to find ID to open an account. What can I do?

The paperwork you need may be just a phone call away and won't cost you a penny – just remember to ask for it to show your full first name and be posted to you at your current address.


Call HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

  • If you’re employed, ask for a P2 Notice of Tax Coding.
  • If you’re self-employed, ask for a National Insurance Contributions Statement or a Self-Assessment form.

Old address on Driving Licence?

Apply online or by post with the DVLA.

As long as your licence hasn’t expired and you have either a photocard or paper Driving Licence, they'll update it for free.

You can find out more here.

Receiving benefits?

Call your benefits office and ask for an Awards Letter confirming how much you’re entitled to.

Name not on any household bills?

Ask the people you live with if you can add your name on to one.

Changed your name?

We can accept documents in your old name, as long as:

  • they were issued before your name changed, and
  • you send us legal documents confirming your name change (e.g. deed poll document, marriage certificate or decree absolute).

Helpful articles:

Legal Information